Saturday, October 10, 2009

Baking - 1, Jodi - 0

This Thanksgiving I have alot to be thankful for...I am especially thankful to have Mr. Wonderful to pat me on the shoulder and say "There there dear, I'm sure that it's still edible!"

Sigh........I occasionally get in these Mrs. Cleaver moods. Today, I had decided that since I'm a mom and a wife I should do the Cleaveresque thing and bake pumpkin pies. From scratch. Like with a fresh pumpkin. I bought two frozen pie shells (bake those from scratch? I am certainly not a lunatic!!).

So, donned with my cute frilly apron, my hair in a bun, I got to work. It was surprisingly easy! All you do is chop the pumpkin into quarters, gut the seeds and gunk and roast it in the oven for 2 hours. The pumpkin just falls off the skin. (or vice versa). The rest is just mixing and pouring into the shells. I was surprised that more people don't just do that! It's probably cheaper than buying.

After my "look at me" moment, I got Mr. Wonderful to put the two pie shells on a cookie sheet and to carry them to the oven. His hands are much steadier than mine are. And so began my little dance of joy!! In hindsight, my dance of joy was waaayyy too premature. Have you ever put a cookie sheet in the oven and then hear that dreadful "clunk" sound? Oh you know what I'm talking about don't you? That "clunk" is the cookie sheet warping.

I peeked into the oven and saw one pie still looking great, and the other pie looking like it's twin....the evil and disfigured twin. The pie is now on a slant and half of its filling is all over the cookie sheet. At present, it's still in the oven and no doubt burning. At least, for now, one pie has survived.

Mrs. Cleaver can kiss my ass!

4 comments:

  1. ROFL!!!

    We're having girl's night here. Key lime cheesecake, cannolis, pecan pie, jello shots, butterscotch shots & margueritas...care to join us? I guarantee you will forget the wonky pie...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow that sounds like so much fun!!! I wish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi!
    I just read your blog to Lily and we laughed our heads out - you write so well, just like your mother.
    I am home in GF for the week, and have been here for almost 5 days now - taking it all in ! It is great.
    Hope you had a great thanksgiving dinner and the pies were yummy - remember, as they say, it don't have to look good to be good...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks!! actually the pies ended up being very tasty! I also didn't learn my lesson and baked two butternut squash pies the next day. AND zucchini muffins!

    ReplyDelete