Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Roaring 20s

Two blog posts in one night...is this done? Oh well too bad, tonight it's being done!

Not that I'm self absorbed or anything, I'm going to write more about me! haha I know it does sound self absorbed but since this blog is about me and my life and the lives of those around me...I do have to provide a backgrounder, right?? And besides which...who is reading this?

I have decided to skip past my childhood and teen years. Mainly because it was so long ago that I can't really remember anything too life altering. Now my 20s, I could probably write a book!

Where shall I start? Career? Romance? Friends? Ok, I'll start at the beginning.

When I was 19 years old I got my first full time job. Fresh out of college with diploma nearly in hand (I had to pick up another course which I had failed). Anyway, I was a teacher in a daycare centre. I was so excited because I figured that this was it. I was going to be set in a career for life. Unfortunately, I was a teenager when I had decided that I should become a daycare teacher. What did I know?? When we are in high school it's next to impossible to think of something we'd like to do for the rest of our lives. I certainly didn't know anything, what I'd enjoy or even be good at. All I knew was babysitting.......soooo daycare teacher was pretty close.

I worked there for about 5 years and was miserable. Kids were cute. Some of them...others were difficult to control. I was broke. My salary was about $20,000 a year. Brutal!! There was no chance for a raise either. To get around it I think the daycare owners would hire teachers after me at less pay. "See? You have seniority, you make more". Could be just my clouded memory but it seemed that way to me. The other problem with this particular job was that it was a "for profit" daycare so there wasn't that much money to be distributed in the centre. So, things like material, education for staff, resources were things that we could only dream of! But there I was...making $20,000 a year, living in a subsidized apartment, driving an old junker, and pulling my hair out every day.

Did I have a boyfriend? Well of course!! He was the rocker, the bad boy, the guy my parents warned me about. Ok he wasn't that bad but he dressed the part. You know the type, long hair, metal head concert t-shirts, tight jeans. I thought he was so hot and so cool...which made me cool by association! I was with him for 5 years and was a mixture of happy and miserable. Maybe not miserable, more like in denial. I was happy because I had a boyfriend, and a social life. Our relationship pretty much consisted of us partying with his friends. It was fun! I loved that part! I had to keep reminding myself that in the morning as I was barfing in the toilet after a night of tequila. Not to mention 3 hours of sleep before going to work at the daycare again.

So that part was fun, but I wanted more. I wanted him to be serious about me. Sometimes, dare I say, I wanted him all to myself without all of his groupies. Like a real relationship. Needless to say this caused lots of tension and lots and lots of fights. In the end I didn't win. He left after 5 years. So there I was in one swoop without a boyfriend and without a social life. Ladies - pay attention - make sure you always always keep your friends. Have a life outside of your boyfriend!! duh!

At this time I also had had enough of the daycare and was ready for a change. So I quit and went back to college to study Office Administration.

Year 2000......the year that changed me. For the better! It seemed so depressing at the time but now I look at year 2000 as the best year of my life. (or at least one of them), it was definitely the year that changed my life. A turning point.

Ok, I think I've rambled on enough about all of that and I don't think that I have left anything out. My next post will be a continuation. What happen after year 2000?!! Riveting I'm sure! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment